Tuesday, April 18, 2017

18/04/2017 One photo only taken today. I have been identifying bird photos all day at the computer so here are a few.

Maximum temperature 14C, minimum 4C. 24 kmh very chilly NW wind. 
34 kmh gusts.  Dry.
The only photo taken today - An unidentified beetle with apparently a damaged wing.

The following are all photos taken in Botswana in February. I have only just got around to identifying some of them.   I am hoping that identifications are correct!  Please let me know if you disagree.

Pale chanting goshawk( Melirax canorus)

African Jacana (Actophilornis africana).

 Cardinal woodpecker female (Dendropicos fuscescens).

 African fish eagle (Haliaeetus vocifer).
This bird has a remarkable cry, clicking HERE I hope will give you the sound.


Fork-tailed Drongo (Dicrurus adsimilis)


As above, a very patient bird on the hotel grounds.

Hammerkop (Scopus umbretta).
Also known as the Lightning Bird for the belief in some cultures that people who tamper with its nest will be struck by lightning.

 Lilac-breasted roller (Coracias caudatus)

Redbilled Hornbill (Tokus erythrorhynchus). At its tree nest.

White-faced whistling duck (Dendrocygna viduata).

Yellow-billed Oxpecker (Buphagus africanus) on a Cape Buffalo.

Yellow-billed kite, (Milvus aegyptius)

8 comments:

  1. Great shots of the South African birds. They bring back very happy memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think my heart has ever left Africa after living there for 50 years. A part of me will always remain despite the fact that I love France. Glad it was happy memories for you as well. Cheers Diane

      Delete
  2. Love your photography. Love seeing birds I never seen before. Great job. I had the urge to grab my camera today when it was bright and beautiful right before the storms but I was heading out shopping and I did not wish to lock it up in the car. I need to grab it and get out and about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, I agree it is fun seeing animals and birds form countries you do not know. Too cold a wind outside for me to get camera happy at present. Diane

      Delete
  3. Diane, your photos are gorgeous and captivating, and I am amazed at how you have identified these birds. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember I lived in Africa for 50 years, so mostly I know the birds there better than I do Europe. I still have all my South African books which was a great help. Take care Diane

      Delete
  4. These incredible shots bring back magical memories. And once hearing the African Eagle I will ever think of it as "the" bird sound of SA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I have at last got through and identified all the birds I photographed, the animals are going to be much easier :-) Nothing as good as listening to two Fish Eagles calling back and forth, magical birds. Diane

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and pass a comment. Every comment is appreciated and I try to reply to each and every one. All comments are verification free but will come to me for approval first :-)) PLEASE DO NOT ADD LINKS TO YOUR OWN WEB ADDRESS FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THEY WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING
No anonymous Users!