Thursday, May 10, 2018

Just around and about - busy in the garden!!

Maximum temperature today 18C, minimum 9C.    Drizzle early; 6 mm of rain since I last posted. 9 km/h North Easterly winds with up to 21 km/h gusts.  

The storm that was forecast was noisy, but only 6 mm of rain so the garden did well out of it.   Seventy potatoes now planted, if the crop is anything like we had last year we should do well.  Spring onions also planted, but the beds are now pretty much ready for the rest to go in, it is all much later than normal because of the early heavy rains this year.  Hope it stays dry for a bit so I can do more planting.

I have been waiting forever to get a photo of the Little Owl (Athene noctua). We hear them around us all the time, but trying to spot one is almost impossible, they keep well hidden and I have never found their nesting spot. Today I was working in the garden when I heard two calling each other from opposite sides of where I was. Then I spotted the one on top of the telephone post way down the road. It must have been a good 200 meters away but I took several shots anyway for the record.

I had to do a lot of trimming and sharpening to get these results, but at last, I can say I have taken a photo of a little owl. 😊

Californian poppies.

Unknown fly of some kind.

Irises.

New leaves on the Acer tree.

Azalea.

Dog rose with Oxythyrea funesta.

Peony.

Red Robin flowers with Cetonia cuprea or aurata.

One of the Canadian wood carvings in Chasseneuil.

The pharmacy behind an arch of wisteria in the front.

The main street in Chasseneuil.

Just out the other side of town is this abandoned factory.  We have never discovered what it was, but I hope one day they may restore the building for something else.



N.B. My new bird blog is updated  HERE 
Part 8 of the birds I saw last year in Africa.

24 comments:

  1. Fantastic owl photos Diane. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie, wish I could have got a bit closer but it flew soon after I took these photos. Keep well Diane

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your Little Owl - a great sighting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David I cannot tell you how excited I was. It is so frustrating hearing them day in and day out and never seeing them. Pity it was far away, but but that did not dampen my joy in seeing it. Have a good day Diane

      Delete
  3. You have such beautiful flowers, Diane. Pretty colors! And, look at you getting photos of the owl; that's awesome.

    I hope your potatoes and onions do well. I don't plant veggies because the grasshoppers would destroy. :

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally we also have grasshoppers here and although they attack the flowers thay seem (generally) not to be interested in the vegetable garden!! Take care Diane

      Delete
  4. The variety in nature is simply astounding. Just look at the colours alone in the flowers and leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature never ceases to amaze me. Since I became camera happy I notice it even more :-) Cheers Diane

      Delete
  5. I totally understand your excitement at seeing the owl Diane, they disguise themselves so well! I was thrilled when I got my shots. Happy that the stormy weather wasn't too bad.. excellent crop of potatoes last year, hope they do as well this year. Hope we get to see a pic of your gorgeous garden when you have fini planting ☺ Happy weekend ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace as soon as there is some growth in the garden I will show you what it looks like. Raining again today and I wanted to get some work done....... We are away 3 days mext week, off to Bordeaux to have a look around before visitors arrive so we know where to take them. Have a fab weekend Diane

      Delete
  6. That is a good shot of the owl! Beautiful flowers. Hope you will get good harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we will get a good harvest, unless we get another frost (not unhesrd of in May!) all should be well. Take care and enjoy the weekend. Diane

      Delete
  7. I'm so pleased that you have, at last, found your Little Owl, Diane - and got some photos of it too!!! Well done!! Those are better shots than any Little Owl image that I have managed this year!

    Have a great weekend - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard if that is a better shot than any you have taken, then I am presuming you have taken no photos of them this year!! I was just so thrilled to have a record of them, and taken from the garden as well, even if at a distance.

      Hope you also have a good weekend, best wishes Diane

      Delete
  8. I especially love the Iris shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty spactacular this year, they have multiplied well. Have a good weekend Diane

      Delete
  9. I love owls and poppies, Diane. But I had never seen a yellow poppy. In Greece, poppies are red! Kisses, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most poppies here are also red, but the californian which I also love, is yellow. Take care Diane

      Delete
  10. Right on that you saw and photographed the little owl. I hear them here occasionally but never see them. Saw some in SA. Too hot to summer garden here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hear them all the time here, they must be nesting in someones barn nearby but my French is not good enough to go asking everyone! Just glad I finally got a photo :-)))))) Take care Diane

      Delete
  11. So beautiful. All your pics are. Loving the owl. Not seen one around here in forever. Have a great Mothers Day Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Little owls are always around, we hear them but never see them!!! Thanks Pam, hope you had a great day as well. Diane

      Delete
  12. Got your message...safe travels and enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, I hope all is well trvelling. I hope to return with some great photos! Take care Diane

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and pass a comment. Every comment is appreciated and I try to reply to each and every one. All comments are verification free but will come to me for approval first :-)) PLEASE DO NOT ADD LINKS TO YOUR OWN WEB ADDRESS FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THEY WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING
No anonymous Users!